Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lone Star State of Mind

One of my fellow grad assistants came into the office the other day quoting this movie, which made me remember how much I like it.

"Them boots cost more than my damn pinky finger, Earl."

Sorry. Had to get that out of my system.

Here's the basic story.
Good guy Earl gets roped into helping out his fiance/step-sister's half-wit cousin Junior, who accidently robbed a drug dealer. Earl ends up giving the cash back to the wrong drug dealers and has to get it back. Oh yeah, and the man who killed Earl's father has just been released from prison and is hell bent on tracking down Earl, who testified against him.

LSSM was never released in theaters, so I'm not surprised if you missed it. Still, it's available on Netflix and most likely at your local video store.  Here are a few reasons to like it.

1. It has a good cast. Joshua Jackson, Jamie King, DJ Qualls, Thomas Haden Church, and John Mellencamp.  Seriously, John Mellencamp.

2. It's hilarious. It’s one of those movies where you’re all, ‘I can’t believe I’m laughing at this,’ but you just can’t stop. Jaime King beats the crap out a red neck hillbilly with bad teeth. Who doesn’t want to see that?

3. Having grown up in Mississippi, A and I tend to be critical of movies that portray Southerners in anything but an accurate light. One bad accent and we’re done with you. LSSOM keeps it real, ridiculously real. We know people like this.

Here's a clip of the opening scene.



If You Liked...
Pineapple Express, The Whole Nine Yards, Raising Arizona