Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Country Strong

Country Strong comes out on DVD today.

I got excited about this one after watching clips from it at last summer's Nashville Screenwriter's Conference. I like Screen Gems. I liked the concept, but Country Strong got a lot of hate when it was released in theaters back in January. Personally, I don't get it. I kinda liked it. A lot.

A and I watched CS this weekend to make sure we weren't crazy. Maybe we just got some really good popcorn at the theater that affected our mental capacities, but this was not the case. I still like it, and I think I know what the problem was.

In the previews, Country Strong looks like it's about Gwyneth as a fallen country super-star rising from the ashes in a major comeback, so you think you're in for one of those feel-good, inspiring sort of movies, like August Rush or Where the Heart Is, but with music. In reality, Country Strong is more of a story about three very different musicians trying to make it in the big bad world of country music where things tend turn out more like a sad country song.

The acting is good. The music is good (and that comes from someone who HATES country music). There may be a few cliches stuck in here and there, but nothing you can't live with.

So I say, go ahead. Watch Country Strong. If nothing else, it will give you an opportunity to laugh at the way Tim McGraw cries.