Friday, April 8, 2011

A childhood wrong, FINALLY made right

Memories. We've all got them.

The good, the bad and the ugly. Especially the ugly. Childhood memories though, those are supposed to be good ones.

One afternoon my friends and I started talking about our earliest childhood memories. One of them remembered a favorite toy. Another fondly remembered a family vacation. Me, mine wasn't so happy.

I remember this like it was yesterday. I'm 4, maybe 5 and I've thrown myself against the door that leads out to our garage in a fit of rage.

Why, might you ask, was a young child crying uncontrollable and trying everything she can think of to get out of the house? My mother had just left with my two sisters to go to a New Kids on the Block concert. They refused to take me along. I almost died. God only knows how far I would have chased her car if I would have figured out how to unlock the door (thanks dad).

I know what some of you are thinking, NKOTB? YES!!! I loved them the way that Allie Brosh loves cake.  Almost all of the videos of me as a kid are one's where I'm singing "Covergirl" or "Hanging Tough". NKOTB was the only thing that mattered. And my mother dared to take Liz over me. LIZ! She HATED NKOTB! She wanted nothing to do with them.

And to those of you who are thinking, Get over it! I say no. NEVER. I was far to young to learn that the world could be so cruel. That my own mother could be so cruel (I haven't let her forget this yet).

 But have no fear, I am on the road to recovery.

Today is a glorious day.

I came home from a long day of work, openend my mail and there it was, a ticket. A ticket to this summer's New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys concert. Other Sister, is the best!!! She is taking me for my birthday and I love her so!!!

My mother can not keep me from them this time!!!

Its going to be larger than life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!