Thursday, September 1, 2011

Zombieland

The Story: An anxiety-ridden nerd teams up with a wild warrior to survive in a post-apocalyptic world that's filled with flesh-eating zombies.

For most of my life, I have avoided the zombie movie bandwagon, avoiding films like 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead. I know people who swear that my life is incomplete with out them, but to tell you the truth, I’m just not that interested. Zombies are ugly and gross and all RAAH! I don’t need to see someone eating someone else’s intestines. No thank you. So, imagine how surprised I was at myself when I popped Zombieland into the DVD player. Very surprised.


There are two reasons why I decided to watch Zombieland. One, Allie liked the cover box and decided we should watch it. Allie has a thing for movie covers. If it looks good, she’ll watch it. If someone makes a complete and utter flop of a film about day lilies in their garage on a hundred dollar budget with the worst actors ever, Allie will watch it knowing all this as long as the cover box is visually appealing. I blame cover boxes and posters for 90% of the movies on the Do Not Watch list. The second reason I choose to watch Zombieland is even simpler. Nothing else was coming out at the Buster that weekend.

So, into the DVD player went a movie that I was already pre-programmed to hate, and you know what? I love-loved it. If approached with the right attitude and narrator, zombies are hilarious. Watching Woody Harrelson bash in their skulls with a banjo is pretty entertaining as well. What impressed me most about Zombieland, however, was the fact that there was a pretty good plot tied in with all of the gruesomeness. Plus, the four main characters are likable and real. Zombieland rocked.

We give Zombieland an A plus for being a movie that anyone can enjoy. It’s been out on DVD for over six months, and I’ve never once had a customer say anything negative about it. Ever. That is a rarity. People hate on everything except for Zombieland and The Lion King. Go figure.