Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Company Men




The Story: Written, directed and produced by John Wells ("The West Wing"), this indie drama stars Ben Affleck as a successful businessman who comes face-to-face with America's downsizing epidemic when he loses his job and is forced to take a construction gig. Rounding out the all-star cast are Kevin Costner as Affleck's brother-in-law, Tommy Lee Jones as a conflicted corporate bigwig and Chris Cooper as a paranoid executive.  From Netflix.com


 





I was surprised when The Company Men showed up in my mailbox. See, I have this terrible habit of adding movies to our netflix que based on the poster, and forgetting about it. Pictures always get me. Nevertheless, Liz has a very strict "we picked it, we watch it" policy. Sometimes I hate her for that cause I end up watching crap like Black Circle Boys and Sunshine, but this time it worked out really good for me.

Now, the casting alone deserves your full attention here. I mean, Chris Cooper, Craig T. Nelson, Kevin Costner and Tommy Lee Jones  together in one movie. You can't get better than that. For the girls, there is no one better than Maria Bello. I will admit that I am not a Ben Affleck fan, but he is phenomenal in this film

For those of you who may be tired of stories about our terrible economy, I ask that you give this movie a shot. Wells tells a very real story here. We get to see how the economy effects these men in every aspect of their lives. Right down to the way they walk. Each man handles his crises wildly different from the other and they struggle in ways that anyone can relate to.