Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Descent


I think I'm falling in love with this movie.

It wasn't immediate. I mean, there was an initial attraction, but it took a little while for it to sink in and take hold.

The more I think about it. The more I realize. I love this movie.

It's about six friends who go cave diving, get trapped, and then realize that they aren't down there alone. That's a very short description, I know. If you need more, check out the trailer at IMDB.

I'm currently debating over whether or not to tell you why it took me so long to watch TD (I used to live in a scary neighborhood where horror movies were not allowed) or provide a laundry list of reasons why I love it (1. British people), but I think I'll get right to the point. It's a really good story.

Yes. That's it. And it's enough because we all know that horror/thriller movies don't always come with good stories. But The Descent is one of those really simple and yet clever movies that takes setting, character and plot that fit together perfectly under a single unifying theme. I love it when that happens.

You may watch the preview and be all like, ew freaky devil people and blood. Gross. No thank you.

To you I say, No. It's not all about the carnage. It's about building up to the carnage. Then it becomes all about the carnage. See how that's different.

So for those of you who are like me and opt for scary over romantic comedy on February 14th, check this one out, because you can only watch Valentine so many times before David Boreanaz's hotness becomes a mute point.