Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Kennedys

The Kennedys is a miniseries about the powerful and iconic family that shaped a generation. It chronicles the rise and fall or President John F. Kennedy in a way that reveals the inner workings of his family's private relationships.

We don't normally recommend TV shows, miniseries or made for TV movies, but this one is a must see. Unless you're glued to the ReelzChannel (and why would you be?), I'm guessing you missed it. Had it not popped up on my Netflix suggestions list, I would have too.

The 8-part series was originally scheduled to appear on The History Channel but was pulled for being too controversial. It's been hated on by critics for being too light on the history, but that actually made me like it more. (The light on the history part, not the hate.) I find historical movies crammed full of as many accurate facts as possible to be a bit boring, and that's coming from someone who holds a BA in history.  Besides, the Kennedy presidency is so full of conspiracy theories that the facts surrounding it are almost indistinguishable from the fiction. I found the focus on emotion and character to be a little refreshing. It almost made me sympathize with Kennedy, a President who tops my least favorite list.

I'm not sure if you can catch it in reruns on Reelz. I don't even know what channel that is, but you can find it on Netflix Instant Streaming, another plus.