Tuesday, July 5, 2011

America's Sweethearts

The Story: Movie publicist Lee Phillips wrangles a separated movie-star couple in order to promote a movie while keeping the press from discovering that the film is being held hostage by its crazy director.

I almost never like movies that are about the film industry. I’m not entirely sure why. Maybe it’s because they tend to be a little self-indulgent. America’s Sweethearts, however, is a glaring exception.

We’ve been meaning to recommend this one for a while as it is both one of mine and A’s favorite romantic comedies, but I’ve had a hard time putting my finger on the exact thing that makes me love this movie. I watched it again today to see if I could uncover the mystery and it hit me. It’s a good story with likeable characters. Duh.

The movie starts out with our hero, Lee Phillips, a good guy in a world full of schmucks, as he’s just been fired from a big Hollywood studio. Lee is given the opportunity to win back his job. All he has to do is get two co-stars to attend a press junket. Easy right? Not exactly, the movie-stars just happen to be an estranged married couple with an excellent back story. They’re separated after wife, Gwen, cheated on her husband, Eddie, with a Spaniard. Eddie became so enraged with jealousy that he accidently tried to kill them. Now Gwen is shacked-up with lover boy while Eddie attempts to overcome his nervous breakdown at a new-age wellness center. To accomplish his task, Lee turns to Kiki, Gwen’s sister and over-worked assistant who also happens to be in love with Eddie.  Who doesn’t love a good love triangle?

America’s Sweethearts is fast paced for a romantic comedy and exceptionally funny. We’d expect nothing less from a film co-written by Billy Crystal. It also holds a special place in my heart for introducing me up to Hank Azaria.

Here’s the preview.